Found in Maricopa County’s southeast Greater Phoenix area, The Town of Gilbert, Arizona, incorporated in 1920, became one of the U.S.’s most rapidly growing towns. A stark change from its century ago humble agricultural roots which donned the nickname “Hay Shipping Capital of the World.” Gilbert encompasses 72.6 square miles, once an area comprised primarily of fields and rural expanse, this modern-day metro is now home to a suburb filled with community pride, booming with a diverse economy.
Gilbert, AZ Numbers
Population: Gilbert (258,935) is the sixth-largest city (since it’s technically a town, we’ll also say “municipality”) in Arizona by population, close to and in-between Scottsdale (262,222), at the fifth largest and Glendale (254,500) at number seven.
Zip Codes: 85233 85234 85295 85296 85297 85298 85299
Area Code(s): 480
Elevation: 1237 feet
Where Is Gilbert, AZ?
Gilbert, AZ, is surrounded by Central Arizona towns and cities Queen Creek, Chandler, Mesa, and Scottsdale in Phoenix’s East Valley of Maricopa County.
Beginnings & History of Gilbert, Arizona
The Town of Gilbert all began with its namesake William “Bobby” Gilbert. He, in 1902, sold a right-of-way through his land to the Arizona Eastern Railway. Mr. Gilbert’s land right allocation realized the railway company’s plans to connect Phoenix and Florence, AZ, with a constructed railroad line. The Town of Gilbert sprung up to life around the track’s spur line near a rail siding on Bobby Gilbert’s property.
How Old is Gilbert, Arizona?
The year 2020 marks Gilbert, Arizona’s Centennial, since incorporating as a town on July 6th, 1920. The Town of Gilbert celebrates a hundred years of its township, community, growth, and prosperity from 1920 to 2020.
Gilbert, AZ’s Growth Spurt
The Town of Gilbert was primarily a small farming community up until the 1970s and 80s. The town in the 70s, when the population was only about two thousand people, annexed fifty-three square miles of land after recognizing the need for growth similar to other nearby cities of Chandler, Tempe, and Mesa.
What Makes Gilbert, AZ Unique?
Gilbert, AZ, expresses individuality with its iconic historical landmarks, such as Gilbert’s Water Tower, built in 1927. Today, Water Tower Plaza and a vibrant Downtown scene with both modern shops and restaurants incorporated with historic buildings and public art called the Heritage District, make Gilbert, AZ, a unique place to live and visit. Gilbert clearly expresses its pride in honoring water as a precious resource with its ode to the Water Tower and by reclaiming 100% of its wastewater via The Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch for over three decades.
Things To Do in Gilbert, AZ
The Town of Gilbert, AZ, provides a mixture of Things To Do in its fine city ranging from art and culture to shopping, outdoor recreation, nightlife, and diverse dining experiences.
Gilbert, Arizona Places & Attractions
From historic landmarks, special memorials, local hometown eateries, unique outdoor riparian preserves, urban recreational trails, charming artisan crafters & farmers markets, and art & cultural treasure troves, Gilbert, Arizona, offers a plethora of places and attractions for residents and visitors alike.
9-11 Memorial | Water Tower Plaza | HD SOUTH | Home of The Gilbert Historical Museum | Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch | Joe’s Farm Grill | Bergies Coffee Roast House | Hale Centre Theater | Gilbert Trail System | Gilbert Temple | Heritage District | Liberty Market | Gilbert Farmers Market | San Tan Village | Cosmo Dog Park | Higley Center for the Performing Arts | Freestone Park | Joe’s Real BBQ | American Legion
Local Food & Restaurants in Gilbert, AZ
The food and dining options abound in Gilbert, AZ. Offering many different cuisines and establishments from locally based, regional mainstay eateries, and national chain restaurants. Local produce and specialty farmers markets also found in Gilbert. Restaurants in Gilbert focus on all kinds of food and fare categories. Steakhouses, Sports Grills, BBQ, American Fare, Italian, Mexican, Vegetarian, Hawaiian BBQ, Tex-Mex, New York-style Pizza, New Mexican, Sushi, Korean BBQ, Pho, Chinese, Seafood, Hotdogs & Ice Cream.
Downtown Gilbert Dining
Postino East | Liberty Market | Joe’s Real BBQ | Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar | Clever Koi | Joyride Taco House East | Sushi Brokers | Pomo Pizzeria Gilbert | Barrio Queen | Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row Gilbert | SoCal Fish Taco Company | Culinary Dropout | O.H.S.O Brewery Gilbert | Romeo’s Euro Cafe | Topo Arizona | The Farmhouse Restaurant | Nico Heirloom Kitchen | Lo-Lo’s Chicken & Waffles | Petersen’s Ice Cream and Cafe | Oregano’s | Bergies Coffee Roast House | The White Rabbit Bar
Eats & Drink Exclusive to Gilbert
Joe’s Farm Grill | Romeo’s Euro Cafe | The Gilbert House Restaurant | Bergies Coffee Roast House | The White Rabbit Bar | Petersen’s Ice Cream and Cafe | High Tide Seafood Bar and Grill | Liberty Market | Isabel’s Amor | Joe’s Real BBQ | The Farmhouse Restaurant
Local Goods & Farmers Markets
Make With Love Market | Gilbert Farmers Market | Mother Nature’s Farm
AZ Regional Eateries
Barrio Queen | Buddyz A Chicago Pizzeria | Postino East | Henhouse Cafe | Lo-Lo’s Chicken & Waffles | Nicantoni’s
Restaurants in Gilbert by Popular Foods
- Burgers – Joe’s Farm Grill | Shake Shack | Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar | BurgerIM | The Habit Burger Grill | Smashburger | Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers | In-N-Out Burger | Arizona Wilderness Gilbert Brewpub | Five Guys | Liberty Market | Cold Beers & Cheeseburgers | Johnny Rockets | Mugsy Dogs | Red Robin | Flancer’s
- Pizza – Buddyz A Chicago Pizzeria | Sal’s Gilbert Pizza | Brooklyn V’s Pizza Gilbert | Grimaldi’s Pizzeria | Venezia’s New York Style Pizzeria | NYPD Pizza | MOD Pizza | Casanova Brothers Pizza | Salerno’s | Barro’s Pizza | Nicantoni’s | Zella’s Pizza & Cheesesteaks | Fire & Brimstone | Rino D’s Pizza & Wings | Rosati’s Pizza | My Pie Pizza | Oregano’s | Pomo Pizzeria Gilbert | Sauce Pizza & Wine | Frankie’s Famous Pizza | Fired Pie | Florigino’s Pizza & Pasta
- Mexican – Joyride Taco House East | Yuliana’s Mexican Food | Arriba Mexican Grill | Cantina Laredo | New Mexican Grill | Isabel’s Amor | Blue Adobe Santa Fe Grille | Jalisience Mexican Food | La Ristra | Hunberto’s Mexican Food | Rancho de Tia Rosa | Dean’s Hermanos Mexican Food | Moreno’s Mexican Grill | Rio Rico Mexican Grill | Nando’s Mexican Cafe | Barrio Queen | Gecko Grill | Backyard Taco | Someburros | La Morena Mexican Food | Maskadores Taco Shop | Tosinos Mexican Grill | Lulu’s Taco Shop | Pescado Borracho | Boca Taqueria | Mucha Lucha Taco Shop | Xaviers Casa Reynoso | Rocky Point Seafood Restaurant
- Chinese – Great Wall Chinese Restaurant | Yao Chinese Restaurant | Ginger Garden | Dragon Wok Fine Chinese Restaurant | J K Chinese Gourmet | Simi’s Cafe | King Wok | Hong Kong Kitchen | Taste of China | Mandarin Chef | Grace Garden | Jia Cafe | Wok with Ming | Pei Wei | Wokee Express | P.F. Chang’s | Green Tea Restaurant | Wild Ginger Asian Bistro | Ginger Zing
- Pho – AZ Pho & Grill | Simi’s Cafe | Pho Lotus
- Sushi – Masa Sushi Japanese Cuisine Gilbert | Osaka Japanese Steakhouse | Blue Wasabi | Ryu Sushi & Teppanyaki | Ahi Revolving Sushi | Sushi Brokers | Sushiya | Orient Sushi & Grill | Sakana Sushi & Grill | Sushi San Restaurant | HOUSE-Modern Sushi Restaurant | Kodo Sushi Sake | Temari Fine Japanese Cuisine | Koibito Poke-The Plant | Gyoza Bar | Sushi Neko | Sushi Ave | Yanagi Sushi | Kona Grill
- American – Higley Hot Dog Hut | Joe’s Farm Grill | Flancer’s | Gilbert Black Bear Diner | Firebirds Wood Fired Grill | Kona Grill | The Keg Steakhouse | Union Grill and Tap | Elbows Mac N’ Cheese | Cogburn’s Big Wings | Local Eats | Fresh Millions Restaurant Gilbert
- Korean – Ahi – R&D House | BIBIO Modern Korean Kitchen
- BBQ – Arizona BBQ Company | Joe’s Real BBQ | Whiskey Ranch BBQ Co | Waldo’s BBQ | Dickey’s Barbecue Pit | Ono Hawaiian BBQ
- Poke – Ahipoki | Haiku Tokyo | Poki Point
- Salads, Wraps & Bowls – Romeo’s Euro Cafe | Joe’s Farm Grill | Fresh Millions Restaurant Gilbert | Wildflower Bread Company | Noodles and Company | Salad and Go | Cafe Zupas | Souper Salad | Panera Bread | Jason’s Deli | Sweet Tomatoes | Pizza Jungle
- Breakfast – The Crowned Egg | Over Easy | Egg N’ Joe | Gilbert Black Bear Diner | The Nook-A Daytime Eatery | HG Higher Grounds Roastery and Cafe | Biscuits | Snooze, an AM Eatery | Liberty Market | First Watch | The Farmhouse Restaurant | Eggstasy | Henhouse Cafe | The Gilbert House | Joe’s Farm Grill | Kneaders Bakery & Cafe | IHOP | Coffee & Bagels
Gilbert Beer, Wine, Cocktails & Nightlife
There are some notable venues in Gilbert, Arizona, that serve a medley of craft beer, cocktails, wine, and nightlife scenes. Joints that range from a themed 1920s speakeasy, a whiskey specialty hot spot, an exclusive cigar bar, craft breweries, artsy wine bistros, and unique local bar & grill options.
O.H.S.O Brewery Gilbert | 12 West Brewing Co. | Arizona Wilderness Gilbert Brewpub | Desert Monks Brewing Co. | Flying Basset Brewing |
Wine Bars in Gilbert
Garage-East | Postino East | Peacock Wine Bar | Divided Vine Beer & Wine Bar | Cuisine & Wine Bistro Gilbert | Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar | The Whining Pig Gilbert | Painting with a Twist | The Art House Gilbert | Pinot’s Palette
Gilbert Nightlife & Specialty Joints
The White Rabbit Bar | Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row Gilbert | Fox Cigar Bar | Offbeat and Unique-Wellness Boutique(Vape, CBD & Oxygen) | The Ohm Factory Vape Shop & Lounge | Champions Sports Saloon | Slate Bistro & Bar | Champions Sports Saloon
Bar & Grills in Gilbert, AZ
Copper Still Moonshine Grill Gilbert | Mesquite Grill and Sports Bar | High Tide Seafood Bar and Grill | Teakwoods Tavern & Grill | Catching Flights Bar and Grille |Chili’s Grill & Bar | Blue 32 Sports Grill | Sandbar Mexican Grill Gilbert | Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill | Osaka Japanese Steakhouse | Four Seasons Sushi Bar and Grill | Applebee’s Grill + Bar | Union Grill and Tap | Cogburn’s Big Wings | Native Grill & Wings | Hundred North Bar & Kitchen | Zipps Sports Grill | Skip & Jan’s Sports Bar
Gilbert, AZ Art & Culture
The Town of Gilbert welcomes and encourages the exploration of art and culture through museums, galleries, memorials, and performing arts theatres as well as local community arts leagues, historical societies, art academies, programs, and events.
Gilbert Art Galleries & Events
Art Intersection | Gallery 4 | Art Walk
HD SOUTH | Home of the Gilbert Historical Museum
Performing Arts Theatres in Gilbert
Hale Centre Theatre | Higley Center for the Performing Arts
American Legion Gilbert Mural | HD SOUTH Mural | O.H.S.O Brewery Gilbert Mural | Zinburger Mural | Gilbert Benches | Water Tower Plaza | INFLUX | Western Powerline Trail Water Sculpture
Gilbert Art Venues & Studios
Music & Arts | The Art House | Board & Brush Creative Studio
Gilbert Arts Academy | Lumos Arts Academy | Summer Art Academy | CRAS-Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences | Learning Foundation & Performing Arts | Phoenix Wushu Academy | School of Rock Gilbert | Arizona Music Academy | Liberty Arts Academy | Studio 3 Performing Arts Academy | Gilbert Classical Academy
Gilbert, AZ Parks & Recreation
The Town of Gilbert, AZ, has nine spacious city parks, fourteen neighborhood parks, and a multitude of recreational, sports, and special event opportunities for its residents and visitors.
Gilbert Parks encompass over 600 acres of open space. Varying amenities of dog parks, skate parks, riparian preserves, community fishing lakes, playgrounds, picnic ramadas, sports fields, and ice rinks, to name a few.
Town of Gilbert City Parks
Gilbert’s New Regional Park | Cosmo Dog Park | Crossroads District Park | Desert Sky Park | Discovery District Park | Elliot District Park | Freestone District Park | McQueen District Park | Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch
Town of Gilbert Neighborhood Parks
Circle G | Hetchler Park | John Allen Park | Nichols Park | Oak Tree Park | Page Park | Sunview Park | Vaughn Avenue Basin | Veterans Park | Villa Madeira Park | Village II Park | Vista Allegre Park | Water Tower Plaza | Zanjero Park
Gilbert, AZ Recreation Events
The Town of Gilbert hosts multiple community recreational events throughout the year. They range from holiday, local Gibert, and cultural celebrations to various sporting events, concerts, and drive-in movies.
- Signature Events – Gilbert Days Events | Gilbert Global Village Festival | Gilberts July 4th Celebration
- Sporting Events – Gilbert Glow Run | Gilbert Days Softball | Gilbert Outdoor Expo | Youth Fishing Day | KAPOW! Superhero Adventure Run
- Other Events – Downtown Concerts | Veterans Day Ceremony | Riparian After Dark | Gilbert Symphony Orchestra | Truck-A-Palooza | San Tan Cinemas Drive-In Movies
Golf in Gilbert, AZ
There are several ways to get your golf game going in Gilbert, AZ, ranging from traditional public and private golf courses to the modern indoor/outdoor golf entertainment complex Topgolf. Most courses and venues complete with mountain views, water features, and unique challenges.
- Public Gilbert Golf Courses – Greenfield Lakes Golf Course | Kokopelli Golf Course | Trilogy Golf Course | Western Skies Golf Club
- Private Gilbert Golf Courses – Seville Golf & Country Club
Entertainment in Gilbert, AZ
Local Gilbert establishments, Arizona based commerce, nationally recognized conglomerate, and The Town of Gilbert itself provides numerous entertainment options for residents and visitors to Gilbert, AZ. From movie theaters, bowling alleys, entertainment complexes, performance art theatres, sports venues, to local landmarks exclusive to Gilbert, this town has something for everyone.
Gilbert Performance Art Theatres
Higley Center for the Performing Arts | Hale Centre Theatre | Freestone Park Amphitheater | Water Tower Plaza
Movie Theaters in Gilbert
Harkins San Tan Village 16 | Regal Gilbert Stadium 14 | Fat Cats Gilbert | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Gilbert
Gilbert Sports Complexes
Cactus Yards | Baseball Field at Crossroads | Paloma Soccer Complex | McQueen Park Activity Center | Santos Soccer Complex | Hitter Performance | Gilbert Parks & Recreation Center | AZ ICE Gilbert | Gilbert Youth Sports | Parisi Speed School Lower East Valley | GYSA | USA Youth Fitness Center
Entertainment Complexes in Gilbert
Top Golf | Main Event Gilbert | Bowlero Gilbert | Freestone Recreation Center
Gilbert Pools & Parks with Water
Greenfield Pool | Water Tower Plaza | Gilbert Regional Park | Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch | Mesquite Aquatic Center | Freestone Park | Perry Pool | Discovery Park | Williams Field Pool | Cosmo Dog Park
Gilbert, AZ Shopping
Whether its local handmade goods markets, specialty shops, well-known national retailers, AZ based commodities, or big box stores, Gilbert, AZ has shopping options for many types of consumers. Ranging from clothing, home goods, life essentials, health & beauty, recreational, gifts, souvenirs, and much more.
Shopping Complexes & Malls
San Tan Village | Gilbert Town Square | Crossroads Town Center | Shoppes at Gilbert Commons | San Tan Village Marketplace | Gilbert Crossing | Gilbert Gateway Towne Center | The Shops at Gilbert Fiesta | Village Center Shopping Center | Gilbert Fiesta | Gilbert Tuscany Village | Copper Marketplace | Power Square Mall | Chandler Heights Village | Val Vista Towne Center | Gilbert Encinas Plaza | Village Square at Dana Park | Crossroads Shopping Center | The Spectrum | Warner Greenfield Square
Gilbert Farmers Markets
Gilbert Farmers Market | The Farm at Agritopia
Local Gilbert Arts & Crafts Markets & Festivals
Made With Love Market | Gilbert Art Walk
Rocket Fizz | Flashback Antiques | Natural Expressions, Inc. Rock Shop | Gilbert Butchery | Iced for Life | Prickly Pear Paper | Junky Trunk Boutique | Tuft & Needle
Sprouts Farmers Market | Trader Joe’s | Natural Grocers | Fry’s Food & Drug | Albertsons | Safeway | Bashas’ | Winco Foods
Keeping It Local in Gilbert, AZ
There are several ways to keep it local in Gilbert, AZ. A big part of keeping it local in Gilbert means supporting local Gilbert businesses, the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce, and Small Business Alliances. Visit restaurants, coffee shops, gyms, salons, boutiques, entertainment venues, and retailers. Another way is to support the area’s non-profit organizations and independents bringing art, culture, and history to the community. Think local artists, museums, studios, and theatres. Also, keep it local in Gilbert by supporting the Town of Gilbert’s local events, programs, and celebrations.
Gilbert, AZ Private Event Venues
Another way to keep it local in Gilbert, AZ, is to host your wedding, group gathering, or celebration at one of its assorted city and private event venues.
Colby Falls by Wedgewood Weddings | Villa Siena | The Art House Gilbert | Shenandoah Mill | Val Vista Lakes Clubhouse | The Cottage Wedding Venue | Gilbert Community Center | Event Upon A Time | KC Cottage | Chapel at the Farm Wedding Venue | Weddings at Trilogy Power Ranch | Pinot’s Palette | Seville Golf & Country Club | Rustic Pavilion Weddings | Modern Farm | The Elegant Barn
Gilbert Fun Facts
- Gilbert is home to the first Guinness World Record holder for the “Largest Goat Yoga Class.” That’s right, Gilbert’s own AZ Goat Yoga (the apparent original creator of the phenomenon Goat Yoga) set the world record on 2/23/19 with 84 goats and 351 people.
- Lindsey Stirling, a unique musician, singer-songwriter, performance artist, who plays the violin while simultaneously dancing, grew up in Gilbert.
- Gilbert has a small-town vibe and the population of a major city. Combine the two and Gilbert is one of the largest towns in the U.S. since technically Gilbert is an incorporated town, not a city.
Climate & Weather in Gilbert, AZ
It’s almost always sunny in Gilbert, AZ.
Average Temperatures in Gilbert by Season
Spring (March-May) – 83 High | 53 Low
Summer (June-August) – 104 High | 74 Low
Autumn (September-November) – 86 High | 57 Low
Winter (December-February) – 68 High | 40 Low
Gilbert, AZ Schools & Education
Gilbert Public Schools or Gilbert Unified School District #41 services public education for Pre-K to 12th grade for the Town of Gilbert, Arizona. Gilbert schools have earned several accolades and awards over the years regarding their quality of education. An abundance of private schools educating PreK, Elementary, Middle, and High also available in Gilbert.
Park University Gilbert is a university located in the Heritage District in Downtown Gilbert, AZ. Opening in Gilbert in 2018, non-profit, private Park University grants undergraduate Bachelor of Arts and Science degrees as well as Master Degree Programs.
Gilbert’s Local Industry & Economy
Various industries and companies call Gilbert, AZ home. The business sectors range from schools, healthcare, grocery, tech, marketing, construction, and retail. Gilbert’s top employing companies include The Town of Gilbert itself and Gilbert Public Schools.
Other Gilbert Top Employers
Banner Health | Mercy Gilbert Medical Center | Dignity Health | Isagenix International | Fry’s Food and Drug | Go Daddy | Walmart | Chandler Unified School District | B H Drywall | Dillard’s Retail and Distribution
Neighborhoods, Housing & Real Estate in Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ, has grown to nearly a hundred and fifty neighborhoods since its formation as an official town a hundred years ago. Among Gilbert’s neighborhoods are two huge communities, The Islands and Val Vista Lakes. They contain lakefront living with extensive human-made constructed waterways large enough for pontoons and boats. Val Vista Lakes has an actual swimming beach for its residents. There are also numerous golf course communities in Gilbert, both private and public. A lot of Gilbert neighborhoods contain amenities such as parks with grassy areas, playgrounds, picnic ramadas, walking trails, water features, community pools, recreational centers, and sports courts & fields.
There is a blend of housing options in Gilbert, whether you are looking to purchase or rent a home. Including single-family homes, townhomes, condos, luxury apartment complexes, and temporary vacation rentals.
Resale real estate and new home prices in Gilbert have varied over the years. Per the Realtors Property Resource, in June 2020, the median home value in Gilbert was approximately $365K, compared to Maricopa County at roughly $302K and Arizona at about $284K.
Life in Gilbert, AZ
The proximity to Phoenix and sought after lifestyle amenities make Gilbert, AZ, an excellent place to call home for people of multiple generations and situations. Gilbert’s stellar school system draws families with children. Commuters find Gilbert to be a centralized location close to two major freeways and major surface streets. Exciting nightlife, a hip downtown area, upscale and casual dining options, and an assortment of entertainment venues in Gilbert attract those searching for a lively social scene. Recreational opportunities also entice people to call Gilbert home with water preserves, fishing lakes, trail systems, large parks, playgrounds, pools, and sports complexes. A variety of beautiful neighborhoods and housing options helps with Gilbert’s livability appeal. Let’s not forget about Gilbert’s warm weather, making it a choice location to live either full or part-time! Hometown pride is abundant in the Gilbert community. Gilbert’s historical roots, small-town charm, and modern-day metro feel shine through via their local business owners, markets, events, shopping, and overall standard of living.
Hale Centre Theatre, touted as Gilbert, Arizona’s Premier Theatre Company resides in the heart of Gilbert’s Downtown Heritage District. Experience the magic and drama of
Local art, culture, and history are all found at Gilbert, Arizona’s HD SOUTH | Home of The Gilbert Historical Museum. Speaking of history, let’s travel back to 1913.
Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch, was developed in 1999 to provide a combination of three functions. A recreational and educational area, a facility for water reclamation…
Higley Center for the Performing Arts, is an event venue showcasing local, regional, and national performers. The concert hall accommodates large audiences…